Rod Strickland '05
#1 Budget Guard
Written by TWhiite
With the release of these new High Voltage cards, there was a massive market crash. Seeing as this card is a 92 overall and was going for an average of 16k on PS4, I decided to give him a try. Here's what I think after 5 games played.
Bought for: 18k (PS4)
Inside scoring: Incredible at driving to the basket. His quick speed and amazing ball handling allows him to break down defenders easily, and drive past them to get an easy layup. He even is great at drawing fouls, and can hit difficult layups due to his badge package.
- His mid range release is great, always hits open middies and has a quick release similar to Curry's form.
- Standing Shot 3pt: He's no Steph, but he hits the 3 ball on a consistent basis once you get his quick release down. Definitely a good 3 point shooter for a guard who's primarily known for his layup package.
- Ball handling is off the charts. He comes with gold ankle breaker and if you know your dribble moves, you'll be able to breakdown defenders and leave them falling on the court.
- Strickland's quick speed and lateral quickness partnered with his 6'3 frame helps him be able to defend any natural guard at the position. Although he did get his ankles broken once or twice by Kyrie and Steph (understandable), he can defend great and get around screens at a good rate.
- Rebounding: He's a guard so don't expect him to get boards like Shaq.
- Stamina: Oddly enough, he gets tired very easily. His stamina is in the high 90's and feels like low 80's. He always seemed to be tired way before any of my other players.
- Although he is 6'3, he cannot dunk whatsoever. The only time you'll get a dunk is if you are on a breakaway and no one is in your vicinity.
Recommended Strategy: Drive 1v1, catch and shoot, mid range pull-up, open 3 ball.
Use if: You want an athletic guard who can drive, dribble, shoot, and facilitate consistently, and are on a budget.
Don't use if: You want a guard who can jam on players like Westbrook, or Baron Davis.
Bottom Line: Easily a top 5 guard in the game. If you know dribble moves, you'll have a field day against opponents. Best guard under 20K in the game right now.