George Mikan '56
Rarest GO Token Market Reward
Written by am81
Recently, I decided to get Mikan as I enjoyed his pink diamond card earlier in the year. Additionally, I felt it was only right to add the player who was considered the first real star of the league. At the time of this review, there were less than 40 people who had redeemed this reward. It is the rarest card in the reward market. Since I know not everyone was playing the game long enough to even have a chance at the pink diamond card, I thought I would discuss how he plays. For the record, I only tried him in 5v5 situations including MTU. I did not use him in triple threat. I did add a CP3X shoe to him to increase contested 3, handling, and lateral quickness but had not added any badges.
Bought for: 750 tokens
- Inside scoring: He has good post animations and high ratings which allow him to easily take advantage of any mismatches inside. He also has good dunks which are not too flashy but quick and effective.
- Outside shooting: His jump shot is smooth and almost automatic due to the 95 rating. It was not uncommon for me to hit 5+ threes with him and he usually shot 80% or higher from deep.
- Pick and Pop: When you call for Mikan to set a screen and the pop out for an outside shot, he actually stays behind the 3 point line unlike some other stretch big men. In this way, he is similar to Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
- Defense: He can hold his own in the post and against many players on the perimeter. His height may limit his block numbers and his stealing isn't ideal. However, he stays with his man and contests everything.
- Rebounding: He attacks the boards well and should be fine unless against much taller players.
- Takeover: He can get sharp (CP3X + Casey) and is exceptionally dangerous outside then.
- Height: At 6'10", he is on the smaller side for a center. However, he can be put at PF if needed and might work as a matchup at SF in certain situations.
- Dribbling: This is where 2k has trolled us. He can max out at 85 ball handling with a shoe which is a point from being able to speed boost. Additionally, he does not appear to have any true glitchy animations. He can take a rebound and get up the floor better than many post players though.
- Badges: He lacks some of the best shooting badges like deep range deadeye and limitless range which is not good for a shooting big man.
Recommended Strategy: Pick and Pop, Attack in the post against smaller/weaker defenders, use to stretch the floor for slashers
Use if: You want a rare card, have tokens to spare, and want someone born in the 20s on your roster. In the proper situation, he could be invaluable in spacing the floor.
Don't use if: You only have the tokens for a few galaxy opal rewards and want the best possible cards in that reward tier.
Bottom Line: He is not the best available reward card or even best available center. Pink Diamond Sabonis would likely take that honor. However, he is good for spacing the floor and is not too weak in any area except perhaps height if played at center. To me, he seemed similar to Moses Malone except he gives up some athleticism for great outside shooting. He is also similar to Zydrunas Ilgauskas minus the height and with better athleticism.