Michael Cooper '85
Decent, But Not Great.
Written by SpursNationFTW
I was recommended to review Michael Cooper as he is a budget amethyst who looks pretty good for the price. My first impressions on offense were that he was too slow, and couldn't really dribble in transition. He can knock down shots and has a decent release but for a shooting guard that's not asking much. On defense he still got beat by taller players. I wouldn't use him in either Triple Threat as he is small and slow, and should not be your primary ball handler. I loved Cooper in previous games, but I think he needs better dribble moves and handling to be an elite player.
Bought for: 9,750 MT
- Defense - He has HOF clamps and is pretty solid on defense.
- Finishing - If you can get to the rim, he is decent and getting dunks and tough layups.
- Shooting - He has a decent shot rating and a good release combined with gold catch and shoot and corner specialist. His shot is better than his 83 rating seems.
- Speed - While 80 speed is not bad, for a 6'5 shooting guard, it is not that good. Paired with a 74 speed with ball, and he is just too slow to make a difference on offense
- Ball Handling - He has pretty bad dribble moves that are too slow to work with. His 76 Ball handle also causes him to fumble the ball a lot. I found myself turning the ball over a lot in TTO with him.
- Steals (fouls) - I think overall in 2k this year on-ball steals are pretty weak this year. I found Cooper gets a lot of fouls when reaching on what should be easy steals.
- Height - He is 6'5 which is a bit small. This can limit him on defense and offense. I find his HOF clamps is made useless if he switches onto a bigger player.
Recommended Strategy: Spot up, avoid dribbling, put him on the best offensive player below 6'8 and he should play decent defense. Never put him at Small Forward.
Use if: You want an elite defending shooting guard
Don't use if: You need a fast shooting guard who can dribble and run the floor.
Bottom Line: He is worse in my opinion than Ruby Eric Gordon. For 10k, I think he plays decently, but I would start Gordon over him who goes for only ~2k.
Edit: Upon further testing, I have raised the review to 4 from 3 due to his defense and shooting/finishing ability.